Tips on how to care for Pegasus knives
1) The knife requires careful handling in order to avoid cuts – keep it in a case when carrying and transporting;
2) In order to maintain the appearance, protect the knife from impacts, scratches, and prolonged exposure to moisture;
3) Do not use the knife for chopping in order to avoid loss of cutting properties;
4) The knife case, made of genuine leather, requires appropriate care;
5) If the case becomes wet, dry it at room temperature and treat with cream;
6) Thoroughly wash damascus, bulat and ordinary carbon steel blades with water and wipe dry after use. Use only soft cleaning agents not containing chlorine or abrasives. During use, in order to protect the knife from corrosion, periodically treat it with wax paste or gun oil;
7) Periodically treat hilts made of natural materials (wood, horn, bone) with wax or mineral oil and do not expose to high and low temperatures;
8) Do not heat elastane hilt more than +100o degrees Celsius and do not cool below -50o degrees Celsius;
9) In order to avoid damage to the pattern on products with patterns and coatings, it is not recommended to expose the knife to the effects of acid solutions and corrosive media;
10) The angle of sharpening on knives is made to perform a wide range of cutting operations of various materials and depends on the blade material and the product purpose.
11) It is not recommended to wash high-quality kitchen knives in the dishwasher. For a number of reasons, knife manufacturers recommend only hand washing.
It is best to keep knives away from other utensils, as this will help avoid possible damage to the cutting edge and blade from contacting hard objects (do not store knives in a traditional pull-out kitchen box mixed with each other). It is best to keep them in a special stand or on a magnetic holder.
It is not recommended to cut food on cutting tables and boards made of glass, ceramics, natural stone, acrylic. Use natural wood or polyurethane (soft plastic) boards.
With proper use, high-quality kitchen knives will serve you for many years.
Several reasons why you should not wash knives in the dishwasher
- When loading and unloading knives into the utensils compartment, the cutting edge can be damaged when tools come into contact with each other;
- while the dishwasher is working, knives may move against each other due to high water pressure, which can lead to damage to the cutting edge;
- due to the processes described above, protective coating of the blade can be damaged, which leads to rust and foreign deposits on it;
- improper use and dosage of detergents (strong chemicals corrode steel and blunt the blade), as well as high water temperature in the dishwasher leads to the same consequences;
- usually the dishwasher is loaded within several days and the knives are not cleaned immediately after use, being exposed to caustic food particles, especially citrus, hot sauces, pickles, etc. All this also leads to corrosion and decreases the knife service life.